Saturday, September 6, 2008

Just plain CREEEEEEEPY!

One of the creepiest creatures I've ever seen here in paradise, are the centipedes ... HOLY COW ... those are some nasty, awful bugs. YUCK!

I found one lounging at the bottom of our almost empty pool this morning. Our pool has been out of commission, water leakage continues to be a bit of a problem. Last weekends rain and wind from Hanna provided additional water and leaves to the mixture, and apparently the centipede couldn't resist doing a swan dive into the deep end. I didn't witness the swan dive, however, I'm certain it must've been spectacular .. toes pointed ... all 64 of them. I scooped him out of the pool, set him up in a couple of different poses ... back and front, then next to a couple of different measuring devices, then with sweet Mama cat. I could've sworn I saw it's front antenna thingie twitch ... I'm almost positive I saw movement. So promptly after the photo shoot was over, I tossed him back in the deep end ... just in case he was playing possum.

We rarely see these bigger ones alive, they're usually dead in the pool or dead after crossing the poison from the exterminator ... and for that I am truly thankful! 

 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Jill,

WOW! Yes they are CREEPY!!! A real keeper. I still remember when we were visiting you trying to put a "dead" centipede in the bottle of rum for preservation and it started moving. A bit of a shock to say the least.

They must be related to possums.

Love ya, Dad