Wednesday, November 29, 2006

Deck the hummer halls!

It seems mama hummer has decided to deck the halls! I noticed this evening she's placed some greenery on the front of her nest, I think it might be a Christmas wreath or perhaps it's her Christmas tree  ...  it's soooooooo cute!

In other events here in paradise, last night I noticed what looked like a big black butterfly fluttering around our back porch. It landed and I grabbed my camera and snapped some photos. I was really surprised to see the intricate designs and beautiful colors of this critter in the close up shots. Turns out it's some kind of moth, and one of the local gecko's decided to check it out. Apparently when the gecko was close enough to see clearly, he decided to high-tail it out of there, a little too big for his dinner plate I suppose. When the moth decided to take flight, it fluttered around the porch light, capturing the attention of a couple of our cats, they were ready to pounce. I quickly ran indoors, grabbed my butterfly net, yes, I really have a butterfly net, but that's for catching sick kittens ... another story for another time. I flung the net over the moth, and then stood there ... not sure what to do next. HONEYBUNCH to the rescue! Rudy carefully captured the moth inside the net and we took him out to the front porch and set him free. Awwwwwww ... I love happy endings!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The pictures are amazing--and I thought I could see the Virgin Mary or possibly Jesus in the moth. I thought I could see something! The mother hummer looks so cute sitting in her next. Love from Mom