Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Everything's coming up roses ... and tomatoes!

Oh how I LOVE winter ... the weather is finally getting down to a more comfortable mid-80's during the day instead of 90's. AND ... it's cooling off at night; the good sleeping weather is here ... YIPPEEEEEEEE! The night time temperatures are dipping down to the 70's ... brrrrrrrr! Nothing like pulling up the comforter during a cold winters night and enjoying the brisk chill (as I type this I'm Laughing Out Loud because I know peeps are cursing me as they read this ... just sayin'). We have our windows open all year long, but close some during the summer when we run the a/c in our boudoir. It's nice to have all the windows and doors open again. We keep the front and garage doors open (formerly known as the revolving door for the pups), it's just easier and more convenient than opening the screen door 4000 times a day when they're ready to go out or come in, come in and go out, go out and come in and go out. They have us trained very well, it's a win-win situation, plus, it's very convenient for Frank the cat to do his walk through to the back door.
One of my favorite parts of our current winter weather is the gardening aspect. I planted tomatoes forever ago and they kept dropping their blooms all summer long ... insert curse word(s) here. Finally, it's cooling off at night and they're growing and looking quite scrumptious ... should be a bumper crop very soon. If we can keep the pups from noticing them, we might actually get to enjoy some tomatoes ourselves. Here's a picture of our first one picked last week


I've seen the pups eyeing these bigger tomatoes, so I'm keeping their personal less-than-cherry-tomato garden growing. They've learned to pick and eat tomatoes and help themselves; they really, really, REALLY love them. These are theirs ...
And there are plenty more where these came from, in fact, something we've recently discovered ... which astonished me and for some reason made me say "EWWWWWWWWWWWW" ... they're growing their own garden. Won't go into the graphic details (dog poo) but, we recently discovered tomato plants coming up from seed ... lots of them around the side yard area where the dogs do their business. HOLY CRAP ... look at all the tomato plants ... this is a small snapshot of their planting efforts: I dug up a couple of them and planted them in the pups personal tomato planter ... the supply will never end, and for that I am thankful!


Happy New Year!

~Jill~




No comments: