Tuesday, December 26, 2006

Empty nest

The hummers have both flown the coop ... the nest is empty and all is quiet. I saw both babies fly away on different days ... not a smooth first flight. In fact, the first one flew out and landed on the porch and I scooped it up and tried to place it ever so gently back in the nest. It wouldn't stay and eventually took off into the wild blue yonder. Actually, it landed in the bushes at the edge of the driveway and I couldn't find it again. The 2nd baby left a couple days later, again, not a pretty first flight. It went in the same direction as it's sibling, so I'm thinking they stuck together and are learning the ways of the land side by side. Mama hummer was back a couple of times and has since been spotted feeding from the flowers around the porch. I'm hoping she'll use this nest again next time. It was a great experience watching them develop ... my oh my .... I think I'm suffering from empty nest syndrome!

No comments: