Sunday, September 17, 2006

We've got papaya!

Greetings from Paradise!

Lots of fun goin' on around here. First of all, my birthday was most excellent - every year seems to get better.

The pineapple is growing and blooming and looking as pretty as ever. I'll include a picture.

Exciting new news: I'M A PAPAYA FARMER! Yahooooooooooooo! Here on St. Croix, this is really a non-event, HOWEVER, I have been trying to grow papayas for almost five years now! They grow wild all over the island, but I just haven't had good luck. We've pulled up plants growing wild along the roadside and brought them home to live at our house, but they've always turned out to be the wrong sex. They have beautiful blooms - I'll include a picture of the big bloomer that will never grow fruit, I think it's lovely. You can also see the new papaya growth ... I hope it grows quickly, I'm hungry for papaya ... YUM!

The hummingbird nest has been a baffling situation. He started it last weekend and I've been watching all week and it doesn't appear he's been working on his nest. We put new food in the empty feeders last week, and I'm thinking he might be having such a sugar rush he can't focus on finishing the nest. Perhaps he takes weekdays off and only works on the weekends. I spotted him today, Sunday, and it looks like he's added a couple of twigs and stuff. I'm thinking about tossing out some lint from the dryer, maybe he's short on building materials. I don't know, but I'll certainly continue to ponder and take pictures.

Speaking of hummingbird feeders, I found a cute little critter sipping on the food from the feeder. I've seen this before, apparently these little lizards have a sweet tooth!

I'll throw in some pictures of other pretty stuff that's blooming; the Datura/Trumpet plant has a bunch of blooms. Also, some pictures of the passionfruit farm - no blooms, but plenty of fruit ... YUM!

The End.

No comments: